LSCBLocal Safeguarding Children Board Northamptonshire

What happens if I tell?

If you tell someone about abuse and the information is shared with children’s social care or the police, their job is to find out more about what has happened. They will want to work out how to make things safe for you.

Will what I say be kept confidential?

On some occasions, you may be asked to tell several people, like a social worker, police officer or doctor about your situation. They may also want to talk to your family or other people you know, like your teacher or doctor.
There may be a meeting to talk about the best way to help you. You should be given the opportunity to go to this meeting if you want to. Or somebody else could represent you. Make sure you tell someone which you would choose and make sure your voice is heard and feelings recorded.

Will it affect where I live?

If you tell someone about abuse you may be worried that your family will be split up or you will be taken into care (be looked after). Most young people stay at home unless this is dangerous for them. 

What if people don't explain what's going to happen or I don't agree?

If you don't know what is happening, ask the people helping you to explain. They should also tell you about your right to complain if you think they are not listening to you. Your voice should be recorded and taken into account in any decisions that are made about your future.

Your rights

Remember - anyone working with you should promote your rights.

Three things to know...

  1. Adults and organisations should never harm you in any way.
  2. If you are hurt, adults must do something about it.
  3. The law says that some people have a responsibility for your safety. These include social workers, the police and teachers.


Last updated: 09 May 2023

A to Z of topics