LSCBLocal Safeguarding Children Board Northamptonshire

Private Fostering

Do you live with someone who is not your mum or dad?

If you are under 16 years of age (18 years if you are disabled) and being looked after by someone who is not your parent, step-parent by marriage, grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother or sister then you may have what is known as a 'private fostering arrangement'.

The law states that carers and parents must tell their local authority if their child is being looked after in a private fostering arrangement. This is so that we can make sure that any child or young person living with a private foster carer is safe, healthy and happy. We can also help your private foster carer if they need any extra support.

You can find out more in this leaflet for children and young people being cared for by a friend or relative other than mum or dad.

If you think you are being looked after by a private foster carer who hasn't yet told us about your arrangement, or if you're not happy about your situation, you can contact us using the details below.

We can be contacted on 0300 126 1000 or send an email to us at

Last updated: 15 March 2015

RATE this page

Your comment

A to Z of topics